Sunday, May 10, 2009

Birthday Fabulousness

My Saturday night followed suit with Friday - Amazing!  A really great friend of mine had her birthday party at The Park.  It is the cutest place.  You really do feel like you are in a park, a really really awesome park with great food and drinks!  The place has trees all over,  brick pavers and slate on the floors, and all over windows, even on the roof which give the feeling of being outside.  It actually took me a little while to realize that we weren't really outside - that may or may not have been the Pino Grigio's fault :)

After hors d'oeuvres and drinks came the dancing which was done uptown at Bruno's on 81st and Madison (Here is a little article to understand this place a little better - Hint: They do NOT care about a Recession).  I was just starting to feel out of place as I read the drink menu with its expensive wine list, until a gentleman approached our table and said that a fashion show would be starting shortly.  Now this is my kind of place, I thought to myself.  The clothing was a little too risque for my liking but there were a few interesting pieces.  During the show, there was also a woman sketching and painting a piece that would be sold later in the evening.

The randomness began when my friends and I went downstairs to see some of the clothes up close.  As a girlfriend of mine put on a dress that they were calling "Paradise" she went over to the mirror to check it out.  After awhile of debating, an older gentleman walked by her, looked her up and down (a little creepily) and said "Enjoy it hunny.  It's yours." He paid, walked away, and didn't even ask her name.  After I got over the shock that the guy just bought a $350 dress for a girl whom he didn't know, I was secretly wishing that I had tried something on.

This was just a sampling of the adventure known as Bruno's.  In one corner was the dress buying guy, who ended up purchasing a few of the paintings that were on the walls for sale, with his other very wealthy friends.  In another corner a very old, very large gentleman was growling and biting a young girls neck while her friend kissed his cheek.  This man will be known by me as gross, and to some others, a very smart man.  Classy.

I had a fabulous time and I honestly have to say that I am beginning to be a little jaded by this city.  I am starting to expect that these ridiculous things happen all of the time.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment