Sunday, October 18, 2009

A New York Weekend

This weekend, my best friend from my tiny hometown in Pennsylvania came to visit me in New York. As it always is with guests from out of town, I want to show them a "true New York" time. This means having a ridiculously fun and exciting experience in the city that never sleeps...and it also means that the guest barely gets to sleep!

One of the first things that we did was go shopping - duh. Did you even have to wonder? We shopped in Soho, midtown, downtown, and everywhere in between. We shopped so much that it hurt to wear high heels to go to dinner. We did anyway.

Next we had an amazing dinner. We enjoyed a prix fixe meal at Pasta Bistro Grill for only $23 that included an appetizer, dinner, and dessert. Drinks were also only $5. This is not a typical New York price, but none of us were complaining especially since the food was so tasty.

The next day of my friend's trip was filled with more shopping. Forget going to shows and museums, we were hunting for deals on all of the new fall fashions. After a nice dinner that we ordered in, take out is truly New York, we set off to have a few drinks at Hotel Gansevoort. I am no stranger to this great bar that boasts not only great drinks but also gorgeous views of the city. I often go there after Sunday brunch and have a blast with the crowd. Saturday night, however, was a little disappointing. The crowd wasn't very fun and my friends and I were just looking for some dancing. After a little while at the hotel bar, something very New York happened.

One of the girls that we were out with, had a friend that was already at a bar in Little Italy and we were welcome to come by and sit at his table and share his bottle. As I looked up the address for the place, Gold Bar, I came across someones commentary about the hard to enter club:

This place has one of the toughest doors in the city. Brooklyn bred Johnny boy guards that door as if it was his sister's purity. He has even gone on record saying that he has denied his childhood friends entry (I am talking about the bar here).

I can only say that this account of the place scared me at first. I didn't want to go to this bar and be denied access. Fortunately, her friend was safely inside and spending more money than should be allowed at one time on alcohol for us all to enjoy. The place was magnificent. The gold leafing on the ceiling helped to showcase the many crystal chandeliers and the gold skulls lining the walls were creepy and fantastic. We all had the best New York night drinking and dancing to an amazing DJ. I couldn't have asked for more fun with my friends.

We finished off the weekend with Sunday brunch at my usual favorite, Arte Pasta in the West Village. Thankfully we didn't have to stand and wait for a table for too long since we could barely walk from dancing in high heels until 3 am that morning. The mimosas were a perfect ending to an amazing New York weekend. I love this city :)

No comments:

Post a Comment