Monday, November 16, 2009

Only 3 Minutes?!

I just read an article that was run on MSN today. It is by Helen Fisher, PHD and was originally written for O, The Oprah Magazine. This article blows my mind but anything that Oprah has in her magazine has got to be true right? The article states that in up to 3 minutes of meeting a person, we have already decided if they could be a good partner for us. They base this on physical appearance, voice, and the person's words. I can understand that for sure, but 3 minutes?! That is just so fast. I guess that I don't really believe in love at first sight then.

The article states that "we are built to instantly size up a potential partner, an intuitive skill that likely developed millions of years ago as our forebears struggled to rapidly sort friends from enemies." That sentence makes me think of cave men and women looking at each other and thinking "Wow, love those loin cloths and random pieces of leaves that he is wearing" and "Yeah, her voice doesn't sound as manly as my father's. I guess I won't have to club her to death." I guess that personally I make judgements about people instantly but for me, I think it takes time to really get to know someone. I have liked a lot of people at the 3 minute mark and then really didn't like them after 10 or 15.

Another quote from the article that I found to be interesting was that "women typically regard rapid talkers as more educated and men with full, deep voices as better-looking than they are." So guys, take note, speak really fast with a low low voice and then you can sound smart and sexy at the same time! I wonder what this Helen Fisher thinks of accents ;) I know that I love them!


No comments:

Post a Comment