Sunday, February 28, 2010

Throwing Out The List

This weekend, while enjoying the snow by staying inside at fun bars, the topic of boys came up. When my Gay Boyfriend and I were discussing boys, he said that he is done looking for the most beautiful guy, he is going to focus more on personality. He said that he was thinking of all of the really great guys that he had turned down in the past just because he thought that someone better would come along. Now he is wishing that he could date those same guys.

We all have a "list" of things that we are looking for in another person. Some people actually write them out, others just keep them stored away in their heads to refer to at a later date. My Gay Boyfriend was explaining how there are certain things on the list that you need and others that you want but those things that you think you need might really not be that important in the long run. Say, for example, on your list is Tall, Dark, and Handsome. These probably aren't as important as Sane, Funny, and Not A Creep. He is making the case to throw away our lists and really just focus on if you like a person for being themselves. If you do, great, date them. If you don't, you should probably still try to go on one date with them to get to know them a little better. Expand your horizons!

At brunch today, they were talking about trying to set me up with this guy that they knew. They ran down the list of Tall, Italian, and Handsome. I instantly thought, oohhhh perfect. When can they set me up? Then, I asked, "What is his personality like?" They told me that he was Charming, Fun, and Smart. They were telling me a few traits of his that I wasn't sure if he would be a match for me when I thought to myself about "throwing out my list." Up until this point I didn't think I really had a list but it is now apparent that I do. I have decided to try to tear my list up into little pieces (in my head, since I do not have it written down) and just get to know a person before I figure out if they work for me. I say "try" to tear it up since I know that I will not want to date the Crazy and Creepy guys but bring on the Tall, Italian, and Handsome!

No comments:

Post a Comment