Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rollerbladers Anonymous

This afternoon I did something that I have been meaning to do since I moved to my new apartment. I rollerbladed along the West Side Highway. Rollerblading here in NYC is one of my favorite things to do. When you are on the West Side, you are right by the water and it makes me feel like I am on the boardwalk on the beach. Every time I tell people that this is one of my favorite things to do - they laugh at me. I know, it seems silly but it is really fun.

Once, a person said to me that it was "me and the gays out there with our Rollerblades." I have to say that today, in fact, there was me, the gays, a few other chicks, and some really really hot men (we are going to say that they are straight for arguments sake). I feel like we are all in a little club together, us Rollerblades. Everyone might laugh at us, but it is a great workout and a lot of fun. It gives me a sense of confidence when I can pass out the runners killing their feet to get the same result I am getting. I might look like I am stuck in the 80's with my wheels but I choose to stay there if that is the case.

Me and my fellow rollerbladers have a lovely secret between us as we glide on the pavement. We smile and giggle at each other all knowing something that the other runners and bikers don't know. What? You thought I was going to tell you? Go and put on your skates and find it out for yourself :)

1 comment: