Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Am Going To Change Your Life

Quite a few months ago, a friend and I met an old man at a Knicks basketball game in New York. He bought us both beers and offered us M&Ms. We knew better and didn't take candy from a stranger but he quickly became a familiar face. Before he left the game that night, he said the most amazing thing to us. He said "I am going to change your lives.". What a big phrase to live up to right?

Tonight we met William for a drink at the Helmsley Hotel right next to central park. While my friend was apprehensive to go and meet this older man, I was excited for the adventure - even just to go to the Helmsley was a treat in itself. Now that I am recalling the evening, he might have changed my life already.

We discussed age. A huge thing that I learned about age tonight is that even though people focus on it, obsess about it, and even lie about it - age matters very little. This 75 year old man (claiming to be 52) had so much wisdom beyond his years but the life of someone still overjoyed by it. His goal in life is to travel to every country in the world (obviously a few countries had to be looked over due to safety issues). It is amazing to know that a man of , ahem, 52, still has goals and aspirations for his life. It just gets a person thinking, a person who is a third if their age, about their goals also. Because of him, I will be taking the time this coming week to decide upon my goals and what I want. Honestly, if an 80 year old man has them and I don't - I'm slacking.

Just with one sentence, he has changed my life already. I can't wait until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment