Thursday, August 26, 2010

What's The Plan, Man?

I constantly get asked the question that starts as "What are your plans for...?" I constantly ask the question of others. Trying to coordinate plans can sometime seem like the most daunting job on earth. Plans are part of our daily lives whether getting the question at work - "How did we perform to our plan? Did we make plan? Do you have the plan?" What if I don't want to have a plan? At work it is used as a form of measurement to see how well we are doing but what about plans in life?

What in life can be measured by a plan? You might have a plan to accomplish something in 1 year but if the year flies by, as they always do, are you not successful or do you not measure up because you didn't "make plan"? What about plans with friends...we make them so that we can see our friends and try to accommodate every ones schedules. Sometimes just the scheduling of it all makes you want to cancel all of the plans and stay home. At home you might be planning what you are making for dinner or what TV show you want to watch. Does the planning ever end?

A few months ago, I met a girl whom I didn't really care for. Unfortunately her memory has been nagging at me since she visited the city. The thing that was bugging me was that this girl had what she deemed her "5 Year Plan" of all of the things that she wanted to accomplish over a short period of time. The worst part about all of it was that I was fearful of my next 5 years because I didn't have a "5 Year Plan". A few weeks ago, I made my plan. It put my mind at ease. Was it because I now have it all figured out? No. I have created dreams and things to look forward to. Now I can stop the planning and just keep living and working toward my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment