Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Packing Apologies

This past week I have been packing up my old apartment in order to move this coming weekend. First of all, I cannot believe that I have so much stuff. I know, I know, I have lots of shoes and clothes, but other stuff - honestly I had no idea how much I have. Conversely, I never knew how much I needed for a new apartment. All of the kitchen and cooking things that I lack are comical. How have I managed to make it this far without these things, I have no idea.

Last night, since I had stupidly packed all of my plates and only had plastic ones available, I had no idea what to do to make a little personal pizza that I usually nuke in the microwave. Thankfully, I was on the phone with my gay boyfriend and he suggested using the oven and the top of the broiler pan that comes with it. Of course - the oven! At first I didn't think I was using it properly since it smelled like something was burning when i turned it on, but he assured me that it might have been something on the bottom of the stove that had dripped from a previous use. 10 minutes later, I had pizza. Before I ate the pizza, I cut it into little slices. Unfortunately, it wouldn't cut very well. No, not because it was burnt (it wasn't) but it wouldn't cut because I had forgotten to take the paper off of the bottom of the pizza that separates it from the other pieces in the package. And this is why I use the microwave.

There has been one box that I have packed, taped up, and opened again over 3 times. Apparently you shouldn't pack your travel wine bottle opener before you are ready. You also shouldn't re-close the box before you realize that you do not have the muscles to open the bottle of wine with the travel wine bottle opener and you need to get your other wine bottle opener out.

I do have to apologize to a few people for my packing:
- The doormen at my current building for putting up with my frequent requests for "More Boxes Please."
- My neighbors at my current building for hearing my music blasting and if it isn't my music, its the lovely rhythm of the packing tape screeching across the boxes.
- My friends whom I haven't seen since I have started packing - They might be thinking that I have placed myself into one of the boxes and sealed it from the inside.
- My mother whom I continue to call and ask multiple random questions to about things that I need, what she is bringing, etc. Also because I used all of my extra towels to pack with after I ran out of newspaper and bubble wrap. She doesn't have a guest towel for when she gets here unless she wants to open a few boxes.
- The new tenants that are moving in shortly - I puttied the holes in the walls last night after I had 2 glasses of wine. Sorry, they didn't magically disappear like the Spackle container said they would.
- My movers that I haven't met yet. I am sorry for the lack of consistency in my boxes. Some are really light filled with pillows and bedding and the others are packed with books. I have a lot of books and I am sorry for the inconvenience this will cause. Thankfully I am paying you a large sum of money to deal with all of those boxes so I hope that you don't complain.

If no one hears from me for a few days, you might want to come check in on me in my apartment. I might have taped myself to the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment