Thursday, November 18, 2010

The NYC Dating Challenge

As if dating in this city wasn't hard enough, there are constant challenges that are being thrown at you left and right. For example...

Challenge #1 - The other week I chatted with Bongo boy about how I didn't want to be in a serious relationship with him. I explained that I just wasn't ready for that next step yet and I was enjoying the friendship stage. I was also enjoying the dinner and drinks too :) Then, earlier this week he tried to have a heart to heart with me about how he didn't know why I was even hanging out with him. He said that I was "emotionally not into him" and seemed "disinterested." I said that this was exactly why I didn't want to be serious - the awful and painful conversations.

When I brought up the just being friends I really meant it as just that. I didn't mean it as a challenge for him to try to get me to be in a relationship.

Challenge #2 - My friend recently started dating a guy whom she really likes....likes a lot. She is a bit different than myself since she doesn't actually like dating, however, that still doesn't make her immune to dating challenges. One rule of the universe (God's sense of humor is interesting during times like this) is that all of the old boys that you were and were not interested in come out of the woodwork. They come by way of running into them in the streets, bar hopping, and through email to challenge you when you are happily getting settled.

An old guy friend of hers got in touch with her through email and asked her out. Unfortunately for him, she said that she was seeing someone. Also unfortunately for him, he is an asshole. He continued to reply to the email and doubt her happiness and the guy she was seeing. He wasn't such a huge challenge because he was a jerk, but there are always more of these guys from our past that pop up just as we really decide to get into a relationship.

Challenge #3 - There are so many guys in this city to choose from. How do you pick just one?
Challenge #4 - There are so many restaurants in this city to choose from. How do you pick which on you want to go to with which boy?

Challenge #5 - There are so many dating challenges in this city and the biggest challenge can be ourselves. The last thing that I and my fellow daters should do is make things more difficult and confusing. Just let things be and they will be if they were meant to.

No comments:

Post a Comment