Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pre and Post Date Jitters

This weekend I had one of the best dates ever. It spanned the entire day and was truly amazing, however, there were definitely nerves involved on my end. Before the date officially starts and throughout it, there are a few things that run through a girls head...this is what was running through mine. Crazy, I know.

1) What to wear - Many girls worry about this. I had the distinct challenge of making my outfit work from afternoon to night while still being comfortable and trying to remain warm. Thankfully, the weather cooperated and I wasn't completely freezing which allowed me to wear something a little cuter. A silky top and black pants did the trick perfectly. My mother suggested that I wear my new fur coat. It was too warm out for it but wearing a fur on a first date might be a bit much. It might scream High Maintenance.

2) What shoes to wear - Once you have figured out your outfit, or even before the outfit, the shoes need to be decided upon. I needed something that would be comfortable but also a little sexy. I love high heels but they aren't really practical for walking around the city all day. I wore my suede heeled boots that also conveniently have Dr. Scholl's inserts in them to make sure they are extra squishy for the long city blocks.

3) How to wait patiently - After you have cleaned your apartment from top to bottom, done all of your laundry, and finished your makeup all there is to do is wait. He rings the buzzer and you frantically decide that you need to look busy, not so buttoned up. You don't think until after that he probably doesn't notice at all, but you rush around to find something "to do" quickly. In a pinch, I opened up my computer to pretend to check my emails. The first email that I clicked on was a forward about God and religion. Ohh shit... I heard footsteps at the door. I couldn't throw a religious email up because you can't say "Hello, I was just checking my email and ohh yeah, what are your religious views and beliefs by the way?" I decided just to click on an email from a girlfriend about holiday planning. Again, he didn't notice nor did he care and my nerves went right out of the window once he stepped in the door...until....

4) What to eat for lunch - If you are nervous, your stomach can get a little funny, at least mine does. I hadn't eaten breakfast and then we go to lunch and I wasn't really even hungry then. What to order was quite difficult if it is bar food and you sometimes get sick from it. It is difficult to order a salad from a bar unless you want to look like a crazy dieter. So I stuck with the suggestion of sharing the meal since he mentioned that he wasn't super hungry either - maybe he was nervous too.

5) What to do when you run into mutual friends on the street that don't know the two of you are talking - Go with the flow. Join them for a drink and catch up. It will end up being fun.

6) What to do when you realize you really actually like this guy - Don't fuck it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment