Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chasing Shoes

This entire weekend I have been shopping. I have been looking for gifts all over the city. As I do every year, I decided that it was time to get a gift for myself. I have worked hard this year. I got a promotion. I spent enough on everyone but myself - selfish, yes. I decided that the perfect gift for myself was a pair of beautiful navy silk platform shoes by Steve Madden that were on sale at Macy's. Unfortunately, they didn't have my size in any of their stores. Thankfully, they had a sale and the woman behind the counter told me that I could exchange at any other Steve Madden store in the city...she was wrong.

I went to the store uptown with receipt in hand and asked to exchange the size. The woman behind the counter acted as if I was about to rob her as she screamed out their policy. I left with my head hung prepared to return the shoes to Macy's. Then an amazing thought popped into my head. These new shoes were a gift, to myself yes, but a gift none the less. I got out my phone and called 3 other Steve Madden stores in the city before I found the shoe in the correct size. I walked to the store downtown and presented my case with a smile hoping that the lady behind the counter would be nicer than the first. When she asked for my receipt I said "These were a gift" with the biggest smile (my mother always said to kill 'em with kindness). It worked! She exchanged the shoes for my correct size and I walked out of the store a happy girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment